Thursday, November 17, 2005

I INSIST i have a good memory.

I still have a shit memory. Since the last time I blogged about my abovementioned failing, I don't think theres been a substantial change upstairs.. I'm still damn blur. Its kinda depressing.

I mean, after a few months of school, I can't really rely on the "army has killed my brain" excuse anymore..

Take these fresh cases for example:

== Case 1 ==

I forgot to close the window one day, and it rained. And all my DVDs, which I was supposed to pack, got severely wet. And many were destroyed. Sigh.

== Case 2 ==

The fourth Harry Potter movie has just been released, and my classmates are watching the movie tomorrow.

I decided that, being the continuity-loving guy I am, I should watch Harry Potter 3 before I watch Harry Potter 4.

So, I looked around to loan the DVD from someone, and after some inquiring, I finally found Zhiyin who acquiesced to lend it to me.

And, since I've forgotten what happened in Harry Potter 2 as well, she kindly agreed to lend it to me too.

She then forgot to bring the DVDs to class for 2 days (haha maybe you should work on your memory too babe!), so I waited patiently.

Then, she told me that she'd definitely bring the DVDs to school for me the next day (via the ancient technique of packing-bag-in-advance), so I was pretty happy.

Later that night, Joanne came over my place to watch Intolerable Cruelty. Which I realised was destroyed due to the rain in Case 1. So we decided to watch Zoolander. Which I realised was destroyed too. So I fumbled around my movie collection looking for something good to watch.

And, LO and BEHOLD, what do I see?

But Harry Potter 2 and 3 staring out at me!

I completely forgot I owned them, let alone watched them before. Drum roll: *Ba da ching*

Sigh.

== Case 3 ==

While watching the movie on my computer (we settled for Legally Blond 2, which SUCKED) I was irritated by how soft it was and how much static my speakers were emitting.

My computer speakers are good speakers (Altec Lansing) and they've never given me problems in the past, so I refused to believe they were defective.

Thus, today I decided to get to the root of the problem.

I checked and rechecked the power supply - OK.

I checked and rechecked the speaker connections - OK.

I checked and rechecked the speaker settings - OK.

I checked and rechecked the subwoofer - OK.

Hmmmm, I then realised that the static was only present when Windows was on! Maybe its the driver.

Reinstalled soundcard drivers - OK.

Static still there. So I decided it must be a fault in the soundcard. I opened up my computer casing.

I took out the soundcard and checked for faults - OK.

I checked and rechecked the power supply connections of the soundcard - OK.

I checked and rechecked the power supply and connections of the soundcard peripherals - OK.

Now I'm getting desperate. Hardware is okay, software is okay. You mean my speakers are busted? Or my beloved soundcard??

In desperation, I opened up my volume control and played around with the sliders randomly.

HEYYYYY. When I turn off the mic input, no more static! Thats when I realised the reason I was having static is cos I left the mic inputs on my soundcard (with individual external volume knobs) switched on.

Drum roll: *Ba da ching*

Sighhhhhh.

== Case 4 ==

There was a fourth case, but I forgot what it was.

Somebody help me.

1 Comments:

At 12:42 am, November 21, 2005, Blogger benkoh said...

i'm amused. hurhurhurhurhur. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home