Thursday, October 28, 2004

Big band brother

I was right, I did enjoy it! Very much, in fact. I loved many of the performances. Especially Olinda's Fever! Whoa. Sent shivers down my spine, baby. Nowhere near as powerful (or sexy) as Ella Fitzgerald, of course, but whoa.

Taufik was good too! Christopher was bad though. Didn't really catch much of his performance, but hes so boyish its a bit of a mockery. Leandra was not bad, but I didn't think it was great. Didn't catch Daphne, cos my dad came in with an errand just as her performance started.

Sylvester though, whoa! Sent shivers down my spine, but bad. "The Way You Look Tonight" is one of my favourite songs, as the few of you who've read my other (private) blog should know. Maybe its cos I listen to Astaire and Sinatra do it so well. He started really well, but then he started rushing the song, coming in a little ahead or just on the dot.

Maybe its just me, but I think that big band should have a bit of lazy drawl, laid back kinda approach.

You don't bloody rush a big band song! Sigh.

I was honestly intending to sing this song for my future (as yet unknown) wife at my wedding. And hell, I'll do it much better that old sylvester too, baby.

Speaking of weddings. What kind of wedding would you like? Seems to me the weddings most of my peers (and by peers i mean girl friends, I don't talk to dudes about this kinda thing) want are the super-romantic open air types.. Imagine. The ceremony held in a open field of verdant green grass. White wedding tents, newly erected, and with a few rows of chairs just for your most loved few. White ribbons everywhere, flower petals dancing in the breeze. An exquisite white wedding gown for her, a charming tuxedo for him. Beneath an arch of rose brairs, with white blossoms of course, saying your vows of eternal love..

Swoonworthy, isn't it? But what will most of us get? Typical Singaporean wedding. Held in a hotel restaurant, with dry ice for atmosphere. Cheap flower baskets. The waiters and waitresses bringing in the first dish (the cold dish, of course) in a pompous showy manner, with the lights dimmed dramatically, to the tune of that annoying "Be my Guest" song from Under the Sea. If you're lucky, sharks fin as the second course. Maybe songs crooned by a moonlighting getai singer as you eat. And of course, ending off with the Yam-Seng sessions.

Not that it doesn't have its charm, of course. Just that I'm not sure if thats exactly what I want.

My brother had a gorgeous wedding dinner. It was held at Chjimes, with a Chjimes-sized price tag, so it had better be gorgeous! Haha. But really, that was really pretty. Since I'm not Christian, I suppose that'd be the closest I can get to a church wedding. Would be pretty, though.

Back to the topic though (there was one, remember?), I really love big band. The only reason why I'd ever want to visit the United States (and this is going out to jia-yan) is the music. And by the music i mean big band and jazz in particular.. The songs with romantic and/or meaningful lyrics, the lovely duets, the manly male singers, the sultry female singers.. And the whole 50s type experience, the singer with his band, men in suits, ladies in gowns, stepping around the dancefloor entwined.. whoa.

Still waiting for the girl I can listen to big band with. Or jazz, even, thats more mainstream right? I think I've only known one girl who seriously listens to jazz. She practically introduced it to me, in fact. Too bad I'm not in contact with her anymore.

(Cue more BGR type regrets in JD's head.)

Moving on. If I ever meet a girl who sings like Little Voice (The titular character of the movie called, duh, Little Voice) she'll completely sweep me off my feet and I won't be able to walk straight for days.

I've probably said before, I've a thing for girls who can sing. And if she sings jazz, baby, I'll probably just melt into a puddle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home