Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Wanted: Music Teacher

I'm looking for a music teacher.. Preferably a guitar music teacher who can teach me a little bit of everything. At the very least I'd like to learn some musical theory, chord theory or scales. So I can take any chord and play the corresponding scales, major or minor, natural or pentatonic, phrygian or dorian or mixolydian or locrian scales. And these are just for angmoh scales. Apparently if you go into, i dunno, maybe chinese and japanese classical music, even more scales pop up.

Sound musical theory.. Its quite essential for improvising real good solos, see, and songwriting too, I'd think. I don't want to just be another electric guitarist with a knowledge of a basic pentatonic and maybe the blues box up and down the neck and thats it.

All the greats whose instruction videos I've seen a bit of, like Vai and Satriani and Yngwie, or hell even John 5 of Marilyn Manson, they wax lyrical on all these different modes. And I'm going, "Mode? What mode? A la mode? Thats like when you have ice cream on your pie, right?"

And knowing all these stuff is also quite essential for me to understand jazz solos, which are incredibloody complicated. But I badly want to learn.

Hell, I can't even play jazz chords, properly. I'm not just talking about adding the 7ths or the 9ths or whatever, its when all the "add" and "sus" and 11ths and 13ths.. Stars before my eyes, baby.

I listen to quite a lot of jazz, I get the feel, but once I pick up the guitar the fingers go dead. Damn. No natural talent I suppose.

Or maybe I'll do what this guy I know did.. hes a doctor, private practice. Basically made enough money, hired another doctor to take over the practice for awhile and up and left for Berkeley to get a degree in Music.

Wow. That'd be perfect. Of course, you have to be a bachelor. Your girlfriend (or worse, wife) would scream and come after you with scissors. Or something.

I suppose thats the more efficient way, isn't it?

Meanwhile, plugging away. What the hell IS dorian?

I think the lead character in Scrubs (which is an excellent show, too bad theres no Scrubs dvd.. yet) is called John Dorian. JD for short. Which is incidenally what people call me for short too. Just interesting.

Know what else is interesting? Metallica's James Hetfield, whom I totally, like, admire (his figurine is hung on my wall, haha) has the same birthday as me. 3rd August. Cool, huh. And if some of the Metallica fansites are to be believed, hes about my size too.. 178cm. Lol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home