Monday, November 08, 2004

Bored of Nothing

Whats greater than god, more evil than the devil, the poor have it, and the rich want it?

If you're looking for the answer, you're gonna find nothing.

Which is basically what I've been doing these days at home. Nothing.

If you look at it one way, actually I've been doing quite a lot.

I read a lot. I read economics texts, dentistry texts, play with problems, study guitar electronics, peruse the classics, to keep my mind nimble and broaden my knowledge base.

I watch TV and many movies, and I read the papers, keeping myself up to date with current affairs and trends.

I fool around on the computer, playing games to improve my hand-eye coordination, tinkering with pictures on photoshop as an artistic outlet.

I play guitar, honing my skills in what is and will be a life long hobby.

And I sleep, simply because its nice and warm in my bed.

But when you get right down to it, I still feel like I'm doing nothing, nothing much at all.

Why is that? I'm thinking that if I did the same things I did, except out of choice and not the necessity of finding things to do cos i'm stuck at home, I'd actually feel relatively fulfilled.

It really all depends on your point of view, I suppose.

And maybe thats what I should work on next! Having a better point of view on things. I'm sure there are loads of self-help books I can find, from acmabooks or amazon to help me do that. Haha.

Anyway, I think army has really killed my brain. I think if I take an IQ test now I'd probably find that my IQ has plummetted from middling-high mensa to sub-epsilon-minus. I'm having a hard time grasping concepts, even if they don't require much more than logic. I can't solve brainteasers that I know I breezed through before. And its tough to think deeply about books I read that deserved to be thought through deeply of.

Oooh, its a hard climb back to mental well-being. After all, whens the last time I actually had to really use my head for anything?

On a side note. I'm actually quite happy, because the DVDs I ordered from Amazon will be arriving this week! Namely, the first season of The O.C. (a very much impulse purchase, I tell you, which I thankfully don't really regret), and the DVD concerts of Eric Clapton's MTV Unplugged and Eagles' Hell Freezes Over. Much cheaper from Amazon than buying in shops locally (I've checked). So thats about a good 25 hours or so of time glued to the tube! Haha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home