Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Wands!

I finally got around to making the wands i've been intending to make for the longest time. Then when I started, I realised that most of the materials I used to make wands before was missing. Sure, i've got some woods, and I had some wires, but where was my wood stains? My crystals? Gemstones? Leather cords? Twine? Sigh.

But I decided to use what I had to make what I could, so here it is:



Still not too bad, eh? These are kinda kiddish so I suppose they'd be wands for little kids (careful though, they can probably take an eye out if you're forceful).

But I'd really like to make the wands that I can see in my head. I can't do turned wood, cos I don't have that turning machine thingy. I can't make a carved wand yet, cos I don't have a sharp whittling knife. I need to go out and buy more leather and crystals and stones. But most importantly, I need the wood!

Where the hell do you find oak, or ash, or apple, or willow, or spruce, or even rosewood and mahogony in Singapore? I'm not looking for planks or scrap furniture. I need the actual tree to get a branch from. It has to be a branch thats relatively straight, slightly larger than the thickness of your thumb, about 12 inches long.

Theres rituals involved with getting the branch from the tree and all that, but I'm really not going to go into that cos I can't even get the damn tree.

After all, wands made of, I dunno, Angsana wood or Pongpong wood isn't very romantic, is it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home