Sunday, June 12, 2005

Perth Photoblog 2: Culinary Escapades

I AM DAMN BLOODY COLD. You may have noticed theres now a Perth temperature thingy at the sidebar, underneath the Flickr badge. If its below 15 degrees, i'm freezing my bloody ass off. And that doesn't even take into account windchill.

Last night I met this old bloke, hes a friend of my hosts. Well, as we all know, heat opens up your pores and cold closes them up.. thats the principle which saunas work behind, after all. So basically he convinced me that I should try have a warm shower, followed by a cold one.. apparently he does it all the time and its working wonders for him. So I just tried it out lah. Now your question is.. does it work? Well, I don't know if it works, but I have a sneaky feeling over here, the cold water closes up your pores by turning into ice in them. Bloody hell it was like being doused in ice.

Alright, enough whining (for today la haha its still gonna be bloody cold tmr, and two days from now, and ....).

On to blog proper!

Before coming to Perth, we had decided that we'd do lots of cooking. For the guys who don't usually cook, its a chance to pick up some much needed culinary expertise.. y'know, to cook for the girlfriends or as a technique to get a girlfriend. So, we planned to devote quite a substantial amount of time to cooking. It didn't really work out as planned (we were too busy doing other things, like watching dvds haha) but we still managed to cook on a couple of occasions.



Of course, guys being guys, we had to have a few unhealthy meals la. This would be an example of that. Basically, its some left-over hamburger patties, doused in sauces and grilled with sauteed onions. Damn bloody good. But I think most girls would feel their arteries start clogging up just looking at the dish. Heh.



So we also made other stuff. Heres JM happily mixing a bowl of cream pie filling.



And here he is, happily filling the pie crust with above said filling.



Louis is happy too, taking credit for other people's work (HA! EXPOSED YOU! =p) (I'm just kidding! Louis is indispensible. Besides, he has lots of Tim-tam Orgasms.) (Or at least he did. Its been nearly two weeks since he went home with the twenty packs. I wonder how many there are left.)



We used whipped cream in the filling. We also have strawberries. So Lewis made the obvious connection.



While waiting for the pie to set, I decided to make some Anzac cookies. I don't know if its cookies made to commemorate the Australian and New Zealand Army Corp, or whether the cookies were their combat rations. If the latter, damn they have it pretty good. Anyway, one of the guys, I don't remember who, suggested I make them in the shape of s**t. So I did.

Incidentally, thats the Chicks Dig Me t-shirt.



S**t cookies in the oven. Well I suppose my batter was too moist la. Think I overkilled on the margerine. So as any baker would know, the cookies ended up looking normal. Disappointing.



But on the flip side, our Strawberry & Almond Cream Pie was bloody gorgeous!



And tasted damn good too =)



We made two, for Aunty Dolores' BBQ-cum-birthday-party. Everyone said it was damn good. Although it was a bit too sweet la. (If we made perfect desserts, we'd be making big bucks working for hotel cafes.)



I mentioned it was a BBQ birthday party, right? So, BBQ means.. RAMLY BURGER! Louis making up for lost time here.



And me, BBQing up a storm. I found out the hard way that Ramly Burgers are bloody hard to do. Those Ramly Burger sellers have incredible technique.



And JM assembles the burger, complete with.. well, everything.



The Ramly Burger is complete! A work of beauty. Though we decided the two patties was probably overkill. Too much meat, maybe.

I didn't think so, though. But I got strong carnivorous stomach la. Powerful like lion. And also Lewis and I shared a burger.. haha. Too much food that night la.

Okay thats it. We also made tiramisu that turned out very well, but thats in Lewis' camera. And we also made snacks like baked potatos with herbs and butter. And cayenne-pepper spiced egg mayo. And I don't remember what else. But no more photos, so too bad =p

1 Comments:

At 1:57 am, June 14, 2005, Blogger louist said...

just 9 packs of orgasms left. i gave away only 2! sigh. my siblings ate most of it, dammit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home