Sunday, February 20, 2005

HFMD and apologies

Last week Tammy was diagnosed with Hand Foot Mouth Disease, and soon after, Tristen began showing symptoms as well.

For those of you who don't know, basically its a viral infection due to some viruses of the enterovirus group. Possibly coxsackievirus A16. It usually affects only young children, main symptoms being fever, sores in the mouth, rash with blisters on the hands and feet.

For the past few days I've been having a sore throat and some ear pains, which I attributed to heatiness. I usually felt better after taking strepsils and lots of fluids, so yea I didn't think much of it la.

Besides, Tristen and Tammy were recovering well, and I didn't think there was much chance of me catching it la, especially since I didn't play with them all that much recently.

In fact, I joked about how I may be a carrier for HFMD to a number of friends. Not that anyone was scared la, it being a disease for small children anyway.

BUT THEN.

*sinister music*

This morning I woke up with a severely sore throat, tender tongue and a lot of ulcers. Little red raised bumps on my palms and the soles of my feet. Kinda itchy.

"AIYAH DIE LAH" was the first words out of my mouth this beautiful sunny morning.

Over the breakfast table (or lunch, rather, I woke up at 11pm) my brother told me that he just got back from the doctor. He was diagnosed with HFMD too!

So yea that basically means I'm screwed.

And since I've been relatively active the past week, meeting people and stuff, I'm afraid I may have been, y'know, spreading the virus.

I'm really really sorry if any of you catch it. Really. I think its quite unlikely la but you never know.

Grace thinks its quite funny that I went to a birthday party last night la (sorry Nel), but after thinking about it for awhile I actually think its not so funny if I unwittingly cos an outbreak in SMUAccounting or NUSMed or something.

So ya la. Irregardless of the likelihood of catching the virus from me, I suggest any of you who have met me recently should at least stay away from young children for a week or so. Just in case.

Sorry..

P.S At least the strain that my family is infected with seems to be quite mild! No one, including the children, has had fevers. But I think HFMD is good for a week of MC so any of you looking to chao keng can come visit us now! Haha.

1 Comments:

At 10:08 pm, February 20, 2005, Blogger louist said...

one week mc?!?!? not very uncomfortable right? hold in there... HERE I COME!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home