Thursday, February 24, 2005

Are we old?

I don't feel old, not yet anyway.

I think its largely because I'm still in the army (technically) and not in university yet. So theres still a buffer from me till the working world.

Nonetheless I guess its time to face up to the facts, that soon all of us will be hitting the "real world".

Running the rat race. Or maybe following Robert Kiyosaki's advice and trying to get out of it.

Some nights ago a friend greeted me on MSN with this panicked cry (sorry Grace) of "we're so old!!!", then launching into a discussion about how when we hit 25 or 26 we'll pass onto the next phase and start getting married and then we'll have kids and straying spouses and failing/broken marriages (hopefully not together) (the kids and the broken marriages i mean) and coming out of that we'll pass into the next phase where, touch wood, we may suffer from the prevalence of illness and diseases (chronic ones, like cancer, not hand-foot-mouth) and then our kids will be grown and we'll retire and though we may not like to think of it our parents will pass on and then soon we'll pass on too. And hopefully by then we'd have done something good in the world.

Much of the last paragraph was lifted from the MSN conversation la. So, thanks, Grace.

I liked the last bit. As some of you may know one of my favourite quotes comes from the Godfather (actually many of them do). Its when Don Vito Corleone dies of a heart attack while playing with his grandchildren in the garden. If i recall correctly, his last words (which were in the book, not in the movie) were something along the lines of "I lived a good life". Those are good last words to have.. No regrets, y'know?

Anyway. Many of you know how I'm always going on and on about practicality, studying things that would be useful, about how we have to plan our future out, career prospects and all. Okay, a lot of this is influence from the Brotherhood, especially Ben (thanks bro). But I truly feel its about time la.

Its really not that long before we have to start earning our keep, so to speak.

I'm lucky, I suppose. Barring unforeseen disasters, natural, economic or otherwise, I have whats essentially an iron rice bowl after I graduate.

But still I don't want to be complacent la. The world economy being the way it is today (not that I know much about it, except that it seems.. unstable) I don't really think anything is very secure.

So, yea. University is the last road to take before we enter the rat race.. Better make it a good lap.

Better try and shine.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
No particular reason for this pic. Just a divider, really. Or maybe you can think of it as symbolising the transient nature of our lives.. how time flows..

P.S. For those of you who care, I'm still suffering from HFMD. Maybe I'm recovering but the ulcers and swollen tender tongue and sore throat still aren't letting me enjoy a decent meal. So as far as I'm concerned I'm should be in the ICU. Dammit la all I want is to eat that pack of BBQ Jack & Jill Chips I have downstairs without suffering. Urgh. Haven't had a decent meal in days. After I recover I'm so going to Brewerkz or Billy Bombers or something like that and getting a big fat unhealthy burger.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Oh yea, bitch, I'm gonna eat you all up.

And hey, heres a 100lb Welsh lady who ate a 11lb burger. Thats a 45kg woman eating 5kg of pure unhealthy goodness. 6lbs of meat. "Quarter-pounders? I scoff at you." Now thats my kinda chick. With her by my side, McDonalds and Burger Kings of the world shall fear us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home